I was in the costume group and my role was to sort out the costumes for our year and help plan them to go with our theme.
First of all I got many ideas of costumes for each of our dances and we discussed with the rest of the dancers whether or not they agreed with them. People complained at many costumes so we just made them simpler such as plain tops, hoodies and leggings. We then went into the drama studio to see what costumes we had and see if we could match them to what we had planned, some of the costumes had to be changed as there were better things which we already had and could have used which would have been more effective. Once again we talked through it with the class and most people agreed.
We then had to go count each of the costumes to make sure there were enough for everyone but we assumed some people would have certain things which they didn't. We made a list of which costumes we as the school would provide and which they had to provide so then they knew what they needed. we also tested the cotumes to make sure they looked affective. I colour coded and made sure it went with the right bit of the theme.
We then had to check everyone sizes and made sure they could have costumes that would fit them, also with that I did everyone costume bags and sorted all the costumes out which everyone would need. In the meetings I had made sure everyone could provide the things that they needed and with them meetings we knew to drop the idea of army boots for Rhythm nation because not everyone had them.
Then on the actual night of the dance show I made sure that everyone was getting changed into the right costume and also after the show we then noticed we should have told everyone to cut and slice their clothes for I was here at home because there was a huge mess.
If I had the chance to do it again I would take chance to make sure everyone is happy with everything and that everything in the costume department is sorted out a long time before the show instead of a couple of days before. I should of started sorting before to give more time for other things to be dealt with.
By Kirsty Moore.